11.30.2010

Denyse Schmidt - Mount Lebanon


Denyse Schmidt created the Mount Lebanon Quilt series after visiting the Mt. Lebanon Shaker village.


No. 3

one inspiration photo

"I visited the Mt. Lebanon Shaker Village a few years ago, before they started major restoration. The quilts’ palette mirrors the shades of creamy plaster and exposed lath. I’ve always been inspired by the simple beauty of Shaker design and their exquisite craftsmanship. I had an idea of the palette I wanted, and shopped the garment district in NYC for the accent fabrics. The selection includes linens and silks. Together they feel evocative of another era, of historic clothes found in a trunk in the attic. It’s difficult to see in the photos, but I’ve been exploring the use of the selvage edge in my personal work lately, this series continues that exploration. Some of the fabrics have really great fringe selvages."




I love how organized the Shakers are.  I wish my roommates were.  Maybe I should live in a Shaker village.


No comments:

Post a Comment